Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Reading Notes- Week 4


Data Compression

Before reading about data compression, I could make a fairly decent guess as to what data compression was- making a file smaller. Lossy and lossless compression seems like it will play an important role in our future careers as we digitize documents. In our field, we will have to decide whether we are willing to lose data in our files in order to conserve space in our hard drives, or have larger files with less loss of data when the document is decompressed. As for the longer article, I wonder if we will ever come across an instance where we would need to write this kind of compression, or if the compressor will always do it for us. It is interesting to see how it works.

Edward A. Galloway, “Imaging Pittsburgh: Creating a shared gateway to digital image collections of the Pittsburgh region” First Monday 9:5 2004.

This article on the photo digitization project was interesting. Being in the archives tract, the project discussed in this article might be similar to a project that I do in the future.

Paula L. Webb, YouTube and libraries: It could be a beautiful relationship C&RL News, June 2007 Vol. 68, No. 6

The link that was provided on courseweb didn’t work for me, so I figured I would post the link that I found:

Integrating Youtube into the library system could be beneficial to libraries, but I don’t know how practical it is. The video that web discusses on “How to Find the Reference Desk” for Valdosta State University might be useful to some people, but how often would it really be used? A patron at the library wouldn’t know that they can’t find the reference desk until they are already in the library and probably aren’t sitting at a computer. Obviously, there are other instructional videos libraries could upload that would be more helpful, like a video on how to use the online journal databases. I can’t think of other videos that a library could upload, but that could be because I never associate youtube with libraries. Maybe this is a technology that libraries will start using in the near future.

4 comments:

  1. Brittany,
    Your post on the Pittsburgh Disorganization project made me wonder what types of projects you have completed in regards to archiving?
    I can see your point that you made in the article about the relationship between YouTube and libraries. Most university libraries have tutorial videos posted on their own web pages, so why would you post them on again on YouTube? I do think, however, that for those of us who are of the younger generation, it might be more useful to have tutorial videos on YouTube, because it is something that we are very familiar with. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany,

    As for as writing data compression codes, I think that it is beneficial to know the basics. I know basic HTML code, which data compression is a form of. When I’ve mentioned it to potential employers (in the public and academic work force) it has made a good impression for job offers and internships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany, I think I have an idea regarding your Youtube and libraries comment.I think the author meant that they should post a video online on the website, so that individuals who look up the library before they go for the first time would then know how to get there before their initial visit. I know recently I was looking for the Falk Library and had some trouble finding it. Online they did have a map, but it didn't state which floor it was on. Granted it wasn't a big trouble for me, but maybe for future reference a video may be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea for a YouTube video ... just walking to the library entrance and through the door, through the collection, and to all the main service desks. Like Google's street view, but for a library, ha. For some reason, I often find academic libraries intimidating (I'm probably not the only one), so YouTube would be a great way to invite students into the library space. Adding humor, like the video we watched in class, would make it all even more accessible.

    ReplyDelete